Saturday 22 March 2014

How not to offend my Muslim Friend about Quakers?

Some time ago I was talking to a Muslim friend who asked me what Quakers believed in. I answered firstly with an approach that might be shared by a politician whose party has not managed to fulfil the promises of its manifesto with "Well we are all ever so diverse....". Since this did not seem a very helpful theological concept I then trotted out the usual explanation that "Quakers believe there is that of God in everyone." I might then have gone on to say that this belief makes us all ever such nice people so we have testimonies, everybody likes us, we did some amazing things in the past like fight slavery and that lady on the English five pound note with the funny hat on just happened to be a Quaker.

Instead however I was stopped in my tracks because he was looking at me in horror. "That's terrible!" he said. "How can you possibly believe this! Such pride! such blasphemy! How can Quakers possibly believe that it is possible for Allah to be chopped up into tiny pieces and then divided out among you?" From these beginnings it probably goes without saying that I found it extremely hard to say anything very positive or convincing about Quakers. I went away feeling humbled. It seemed a terrible and demeaning thing that we should possess a theology that did not stand up to scrutiny from other faiths.

One of the very good things about being a Quaker is that it allows you to go away and think so for the rest of that day I found a quiet spot where it might be possible to resolve this dilemma. This process might seem comparable to puzzling over the clue of a crossword puzzle and open to all faiths, although for me it seems to go much deeper. I need to put my own ego and intellect on a back-burner, stop talking and wait to be told the answer.

At first the main thought on my mind was regret, that this process of thinking things over carefully and being open to the Spirit was taking place after I had given my reply. Sometimes however it is necessary to be humbled, and greater help to be shocked into action.

It seemed to me that we have to be very careful about the way we describe our faith to others and this process needs to be begin by having sufficient clarity within ourselves. The answer I discovered to this dilemma speaks for me, I do not intend to speak for all other Quakers who will have their own insights, but as it has been so helpful for me, it seems like a good idea to share it.

To me there is an important distinction to be made. There is God, who is absolute, all powerful, just, loving, forgiving and every bit as my Muslim friend perceives Allah through his own spiritual pathway.  Then, as a quite separate entity, there is the "Kingdom of God" as taught by Jesus which may be no larger than a mustard seed, but for a Quaker there is no doubt that this capacity to love is within us. Perhaps through this belief we are more tenacious than we might be, considering every human being precious in the eyes of God, even when it seems all other hope is lost.

Through choosing to be on God's side it is our joy and responsibility to strengthen and extend the Kingdom of God by allowing that capacity for love within us to grow.

I never found an opportunity to speak to my Muslim friend again on this subject. Perhaps he still would not approve of Quakers. It has however been been a joy sharing my understanding with you now. I am full of respect for my Muslim friend, so grateful for the opportunity he gave me and wherever he is right now, quite certain that love can reach him.



No comments:

Post a Comment