Thursday 24 April 2014

The problems associated with being an Early Quaker.

"Live adventurously. When choices arise, do you take the way that offers the fullest opportunity for the use of your gifts in the service of God and the community? Let your life speak. When decisions have to be made, are you ready to join with others in seeking clearness, asking for God's guidance and offering counsel to one another?"

These words were very much on my mind as I stepped up on to a soap box yesterday afternoon in support of our local Rabbi. This event marking St George's Day was organised through the local Faith Forum to demonstrate the town's diversity and all that was good about us. It was very moving to hear the Rabbi speak of how certain members of his family had been welcomed in England whilst the rest did not survive in Poland. At times it can be so easy to forget how fortunate we are to have freedom.

As a Quaker, it seemed of particular significance to be a guest of the parish Church. Just across the road I could see the site of the County Gaol. Whereas I would soon be getting on the bus home, for a Quaker during the seventeenth century, this opportunity to speak would inevitably be followed by arrest. This detention at the King's pleasure for an indefinite time involved being identified as a likely traitor and ostracised by other members of the community. Besides likely persecution, there was the cost of providing for yourself in prison, inevitable exploitation,and extreme financial hardship through not being able to earn a living. The risk and upheaval for their own families must also have been a considerable disincentive for any Quaker taking upon themselves that opportunity to speak.

In some ways however there were marked similarities to that time. As people rushed past caught up in their own affairs there was a stern reminder that preaching of any sort, begins as an intrusion and is most usually unwelcome. Our ineffective sound system made me somewhat envious of George Fox whose legendary larynx could stop thousands of people in their tracks even on Firbank Fell. Although these days we might talk of traffic and the music from shops as being an acceptable excuse for voices that do not carry, early Quakers taking advantage of market day crowds had numerous cows, sheep and horses to deal with.

When confronted by the challenge of how to attract an audience, I discovered considerable sympathy with those Early Quakers who would deliberately exploit the opportunity of an assembled indoor church congregation by interrupting the service and then arguing with the priest. These very practical considerations to attract attention may also explain some of our more outrageous activities such as Soloman Eccles going about with a pan of hot coals on his head, George Fox letting the people of Lichfield know exactly what he thought of them, and, most notably but undoubtedly effective..... going naked for a sign! 

It is somewhat disconcerting to be in the company of those who are already busy, mild curiosity at most and the likely attention span of a flea. This problem made me think very fast of how Early Quakers managed. To me it seemed absolutely essential that they began with their audience, found some point of agreement and then kept their message simple. With this in mind, I would prefer not to used the full verbosity of Quaker literature as an entirely accurate record of those times. Instead it is easier for me to imagine George Fox standing up to say, " I've been on a spiritual journey, never found these guys much help, discovered God speaks to us direct. Its been very good news for me!"

Yesterday's event may not have seemed in the eyes of the world to have been that much of a success. Not that many turned up because it was raining, an awkward time of day and Christian leaders in particular tend to take a holiday after Easter. They needed speakers to say a few words and so I obliged. I ranted on for a few moments, and for the duration alone, could quite understand how oratory fuels the ego. Afterwards, instead of feeling good about the achievement, it was all very stressful. I could have hugged the bus driver for taking me home!
Perhaps this was too cowardly an approach. Unlike with Early Friends, no one heckled or threw rotten vegetables my way. This might be explained because the most positive thing I can say about my effect on this audience is that I am not at all sure anyone heard me!

Instead, despite the presence of a random assortment of faith leaders, some curious bystanders and two policemen who had spotted the flag of St George, the ministry I gave came back at me. This spoke to my condition. Through living adventurously I had found myself in the company of Early Friends and come to respect them more.

Right now public speaking is the very last thing that I feel like doing!
It is good to hold this moment. I can see my limitations all too clearly. Instead of being able to attract an audience, I am at present thriving on the silence and opportunity for writing.






No comments:

Post a Comment